Social networking can be a fantastic way to get your name into the business field and let people know more about you. When using networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Myspace and other sites such as this, people tend to be free with what they publish, but as one of my articles shows, companies can research you through these websites and if they like what they see, they can offer you a job.
Here is a list of Do's and Don'ts for Social Networking:
1. Do pay attention to people you are "friending" on these sites. If they are people from work, they may not need to know everything about you.
2. Do create a separate Facebook, Twitter, or other social networking site for people you meet in interviews or people you meet professionally.
3. Don't tag yourself in photos that are of a comprising nature. Make sure you untag photos your friends have posted on these sites.
4. Don't use office time to update and check your social networking sites. Do that on your own time, not while you are getting paid.
5. Do have a set amount of time you want to spend on these sites and don't neglect work, family, and.or friends for these sites.
6. Don't forget to set the privacy settings on your social networking sites. Decide who can see things and what things they are privileged to see.
7. Do think before you post your opinions and moods. Remember, the whole world could be seeing this.
8. Don't share bad or personal news on these sites. Don't post things that could make people uncomfortable, such as "I found out I'm not pregnant today"
9. Do be the same in person as you are online. Don't change your personality because you are online, and therefore feel safer. Be yourself at all times!
10. Don't badmouth previous/current employers or bosses. In fact, don't badmouth anyone on your social networking sites.
In short, be smart about what you post on your social networking sites. You never know who will see it.